Reliable and data-driven SEO tools for small businesses allow specialists to properly analyze a company's online visibility, highlight the benefits and drawbacks of digital marketing initiatives, understand the target market, streamline the targeted traffic, boost business credibility and trust, and more.
First off, the modern digital terrain is dynamic, and can cause businesses of all sizes to puzzle over new approaches and strategies to win over customers and their loyalty. And SMBs are vulnerable in such a constantly changing environment as it takes more effort to gain a competitive edge, which explains the importance of SEO for small businesses.
Small business SEO tools are crucial for acquiring valuable data insights for strategic planning, improving decision-making, and adjusting business strategies to stay ahead of niche competitors. This article will familiarize you with the best free and paid SEO software to improve your website performance, ease optimization workflows, and effectively outperform your niche competition. So, keep your eye on the prize!
What are the Key Features of Small Business SEO Tools?
Effective search engine optimization calls for a comprehensive approach to attend to multiple areas like user search intent, keywords, crawling and indexing, content, technical tweaks, link juice, analytics and reporting, and more.
Therefore, the best SEO tools for small businesses should possess essential features to help you fully understand your website's SEO performance and get accurate recommendations for improvement. So, when seeking robust small business SEO software, make sure your options have the following capabilities:
- Advanced website audit identifying site technical issues, on-page SEO, internal links, mobile performance, security and usability gaps, and content liabilities.
- Profound keyword research featuring search volume and competition metrics, relevant suggestions, and keyword ranking dynamics.
- Accurate rank tracking covering multiple locations and major search engines and providing a valid positions overview for different keywords.
- Precise competitor analysis with a clear view of competitors' website performance and marketing efforts, domain metrics, traffic distribution, and more.
- Exemplary backlinks breakdown that highlights the quality of backlinks and helps to discover new backlink acquisition opportunities.
- Results-driven content marketing providing copy editing, topical research, content gap analysis, and more.
In addition to the above capabilities, ensure the small business SEO tools you explore are user-oriented and have a neat, convenient interface that is not cumbersome or distracting.
What's more, pay attention to tools' pricing, as you certainly don't want your new SEO toolkit to break the bank and affect your marketing budget. Define your goals beforehand and choose wisely to pick options that will supercharge your SEO optimization.
8 Best SEO Tools for Small Businesses
The importance of SEO for small businesses drives the need for a reliable and effective toolset that will help companies move forward with their SEO strategies and achieve the desired performance outcomes. Among the diversity of free and paid small business SEO tools, we've determined the top picks that can dramatically enhance your online visibility.
Source: SE Ranking
SE Ranking is one of the best SEO tools for small businesses due to its data accuracy, huge raw keyword database, transparent reporting, and comprehensive approach. This all-in-one SEO platform covers all aspects of search engine optimization, allowing you to spy on niche competitors, deepen keyword analysis, examine website backlinks, enhance and sharpen website content, perform extensive website audits, and more.
The tool is user-friendly and boasts a clean interface with an easy-to-use dashboard. SE Ranking's key features include the following:
- Cutting-edge keyword research and position tracking with a precise overview of top-performing pages and keywords.
- AI-powered content editor that suggests appropriate terms to use within the content to boost rankings and provides content ideas relevant to user search intent.
- Robust Website Audit, SERP Checker, and On-Page SEO Analyzer tools that help to revive and empower website SEO performance.
SE Ranking offers Essential, Pro, and Business pricing plans with the option to pay monthly or annually with a 20% discount. The most affordable plan starts at $55 per month. You can request a custom plan for your project and use the 14-day free trial to explore all of the platform's features and perks.
2. Yoast SEO
Source: Yoast SEO
Yoast SEO is a top WordPress plugin and Shopify app for search engine optimization, enabling users to instantly refine their pages and content according to SEO best practices. It is one of the most influential small business SEO tools working as a website add-on.
Yoast SEO helps optimize content, improve technical SEO, and polish site pages to obtain rich results. By implementing Yoast SEO, you can:
- Make website content entirely readable and SEO-friendly.
- Improve internal linking and optimize the look of your search results.
- Acquire relevant structured data for your pages and boost technical SEO.
The Yoast SEO plugin comes in free and premium versions. The paid version of the plugin costs $99 per year. The Shopify app costs $19 for 30 days with a 14-day trial available.
3. Google Search Console
Source: Google Search Console
Google Search Console is an essential SEO software that extracts data directly from Google Search and helps monitor site performance and troubleshoot various site issues related to Core Web Vitals, mobile usability, site crawling and indexing, and page experience.
The crucial features of Google Search Console are the following:
- Precise overview of search performance, including clicks, impressions, CTRs, and average position.
- Extensive link summary covering internal and external links, top linking sites, and top linking text.
- Real-time page URL inspection, sitemap submission, and page removal requests.
Google Search Console is the best free option among all SEO tools for small businesses. There are no trials or subscriptions, so you can use the service at no cost. You just need to add your website to your account by verifying ownership. The option to grant permissions to your team members is also available.
4. Screaming Frog
Source: Screaming Frog
Screaming Frog is an SEO spider tool that helps to audit websites for common SEO issues. It is a desktop small business SEO software compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux.
This website crawler can investigate small and large websites of any complexity, providing real-time analysis and sufficient outcomes. The most essential features of Screaming Frog include:
- Bold analysis of duplicate content spotlighting low-quality content and copied page metadata and headings.
- Detailed audit of broken links and page redirect chains.
- Authentic data on website architecture, sitemaps, robots, and directives.
You can use Screaming Frog for free with limited features. There is the option to purchase a license for $259 per year.
5. Google Docs
Source: Google Docs
Although Google Docs is not a platform for in-depth SEO analysis, it provides exceptional opportunities to manage and organize various tasks devoted to search engine optimization. Google Docs should undoubtedly be on your list of free SEO tools for small businesses, as it can perfectly complement your auditing and reporting SEO software.
Here is how Google Docs can assist you in your daily SEO tasks and workflows:
- Monitor and improve website on-page SEO by drafting metadata, content, and page headings to review with your team before incorporating them into your website.
- Empower keyword research with consistent content Docs-based briefs containing the most relevant keywords, user search intent types, and guidelines on content structure.
- Streamline SEO reporting by consolidating retrieved SEO data from Google Analytics and Search Console into even reports with charts and graphs with easy sharing options.
Google Docs is a free tool that only requires you to have a valid Google Account.
Grammarly is a well-regarded platform that helps users enrich their writing skills, check the correctness and relevance of their content, and write more confidently and persuasively. With Grammarly, you can examine spelling and grammar, refine text readability and styling, and detect content plagiarism.
It can also become a valuable tool for streamlining your daily SEO tasks. For example, some SEO-related Grammarly features include the following:
- The AI-backed assistant helps improve content quality, structure, and engagement, empowering user experience and page search performance.
- Distinct content optimization allows you to dilute the text with semantic keyword suggestions, add keywords naturally, and revamp the structure of sentences.
- Page metadata optimization enables you to refine the quality of meta titles and meta descriptions to improve click-through rate from SERPs.
You can use Grammarly for free with basic writing suggestions and tone detection. If you need a more precise writing assessment, upgrade to Grammarly Premium, which starts at $12 a month. Additionally, you can choose Grammarly for Business with dedicated features for teams. This option starts at $15 per month.
SimilarWeb is an outstanding digital intelligence platform that helps users better perceive markets and audiences, investigate traffic sources, analyze competitors' activity across different marketing channels, and, as a result, build better strategies and make more informed business decisions.
Even though SimilarWeb is not directly related to search engine optimization, it can perfectly complement your essential bundle of SEO tools for small businesses due to its datasets and reporting. Thus, with SimilarWeb, you can:\
- Attain proper competitor analysis with audience overlaps and a full breakdown of opponents' keywords, demographics, mobile performance, traffic, and engagement metrics.
- Plunge into audience insights, including age, interests, location, and gender, so that you can adjust your content strategy, refine marketing activities, and boost user satisfaction.
- Track website performance with the site's historical data and investigate industry benchmarks to understand the pits and pearls of your strategy and create a blueprint for improvement.
If you are a beginner, you can use SimilarWeb for free to obtain basic data on website performance. If you need more profound insights, choose one of four pricing plans that suit various individual and business needs. Packages for startups and individuals start at $125 per user per month, and you can request a demo and get custom pricing for enterprise needs. There is a free web browser extension and a 7-day trial period to get to know the platform.
Google Keyword Planner
Source: Google Keyword Planner
Google Keyword Planner is a keyword research tool that was specifically developed to aid advertisers in finding relevant keyword suggestions for their PPC campaigns. Nevertheless, it is also helpful for investigating keyword ideas for SEO initiatives and conducting competitors' keyword analysis.
The primary features of Google Keyword Planner are the following:
- Google-backed database of keyword ideas with average monthly searches, keyword competition, three-month search trend change, brand and non-brand keyword overview, and more.
- Relevant keyword suggestions to broaden the search and location and language-based keyword filtering.
- Historical data, search volume, and forecasts on keyword performance.
Using Google Keyword Planner is free. However, you need to have a valid Google Ads account.
How to Choose the Right SEO Tools for Your Business?
There is a broad selection of SEO tools for small businesses, which makes choosing the right one challenging. However, the first thing to remember is your project's essential needs. For example, SMB software for enhancing keyword rankings will differ from software that helps you acquire backlinks. So, defining your goals and objectives and prioritizing SEO tasks is crucial when picking the right toolset.
Moreover, you should clearly estimate the budget you are ready to allocate to small business SEO tools and ensure the tool cost corresponds to its value and data accuracy, as overspending can cause substantial problems with revenue. Additionally, consider the level of your skills, as some tools are suitable for beginners, while others require advanced technical knowledge and expertise to gather and interpret data correctly.
When evaluating the importance of SEO for small businesses, keep in mind that SEO is vital for those striving to not only gain better search performance and traffic but also to be one step ahead of the niche competition. The best SEO tools can significantly facilitate various SEO-related tasks, automate time-consuming SEO workflows, and enhance the development strategy.